Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Jennifer Lawrence Talks Gender Inequality In Hollywood: 'I'm Over Trying To Find The 'Adorable' Way To State My Opinion'

Jennifer Lawrence is done playing nice!

In a poignant and revealing essay published in Lena Dunham's feminist publication, Lenny Letter, the actress opened up about her experiences with the gender pay gap in Hollywood.

For those who don't know, Jennifer found out she was paid way less than her maleAmerican Hustle co-stars thanks to theSony e-mail leaks of December 2014.

According to the docs, Lawrence and Amy Adams both got 7% cuts while their male counterparts, like Bradley Cooper, earned 9%.

Now the actress is expressing remorse for not speaking up about the disparity over fear for seeming "spoiled" or "difficult," The leading lady explained:

"I would be lying if I didn't say there was an element of wanting to be liked that influenced my decision to close the deal without a real fight. I didn't want to seem ‘difficult' or ‘spoiled.' At the time, that seemed like a fine idea, until I saw the payroll on the Internet and realized every man I was working with definitely didn't worry about being ‘difficult' or ‘spoiled.'"


Sounds like J.Law is perfectly summing up an issue A LOT of women face — too often females are critiqued for being "sassy" or "bossy" when they're really just being strong and confident!

Thankfully Jennifer has found the strength to state her opinions without fear of the repercussions, revealing:

"Are we socially conditioned to behave this way? We've only been able to vote for what, 90 years? I'm seriously asking…Could there still be a lingering habit of trying to express our opinions in a certain way that doesn't ‘offend' or ‘scare' men? I'm over trying to find the ‘adorable' way to state my opinion and still be likable! F– that. I don't think I've ever worked for a man in charge who spent time contemplating what angle he should use to have his voice heard. It's just heard."


Preach, girl! You've got this!

So, do you think a gender pay gap exists in your work place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the writers alone and does not reflect or represent the views of Rayo Estelle